Tuesday, February 07, 2006

And the 6 million dollar question is . . . . . .

How do you measure success?

What does it mean to you? Is it a paycheck... a car..... a house....the size of your diamond.... the title on your business card.. ...the college you went to, or your kids went to on your dime?
how do you measure success? that is the question on my mind tonight.

Mine is not a simple answer, and its not monetary, or even related to a career at all. On the other hand, maybe it is the simplest answer.... mine is not really measured at all. Things like money, cars, jobs, real estate....don't hold value to me. They are just things you CAN have, but not things you need to have.
Most people look at me and think I am so far behind. But the funny thing is, I look at them and think I am so far ahead.

Success has no price tag, or tax bracket, or karat weight..... you can't measure a laugh, or contentment, or that feeling of calm you have when you naturally wake up from a good nights sleep. Those are the things I use to measure my own success. Did I smile and laugh today? Did I make anyone else smile or laugh? Did I do my job and be kind to people? Did I fall asleep peacefully, without worry? That is all I need to decide.

I am a firm believer in the old "to each their own" saying, but I have a hard time believing anyone with a fancy car, big ring, or half million dollar condo is more successful than I. And yet, almost anyone faced with the comparison would tell you just that.

Since I am struggling to better explain myself, let's take a look at what my old friend Webster's has to say about success...... it says "the achievement of something desired, intended or attempted" So, in theory, if I headed out to the store to buy toilet paper, and came home with toilet paper, I had a successful day. That simple.

So why is it so hard for anyone to see that I am successful? I have a cupboard full of toilet paper.....just as I intended.

As always.... good times,
-Cyn


No comments: