Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Careers I will probably never have.......

  • Roofer - spent all weekend roofing.... don't want to do that again anytime soon. My knees hurt, and I can only go left, not right with my neck since I must have pinched something, my shoulders are sore and my right hand feels like its constantly asleep... or wishes it was.....

  • Chef - made (tried to) a turkey last night..... and I don't think I will ever be the same.... handling the raw turkey was like handling a dead body. it didn't go or stay where you want it to... it smells somewhat funky.... the neck and the baggy full of squishy junk was enough to make me throw up in my mouth a little, I couldn't stop gagging.... then to rinse it out, and the water smelled bad.... and I cut the plastic thing that holds the legs thinking "why do they put this funny handle here, it's just going to melt into the turkey".... but learned that "no", that's not the case and its supposed to hold the legs on? So I had to tie the legs back up and together.... and whatever you do.... DO NOT look directly into the cavity of an uncooked turkey, or a cooked one for that matter! The dark meat seems raw and the white meat is dry and chewy.... forget the skin, it took John's circular saw to cut through it it was so tough..... (who knew you had to baste a self-basting bird?) Then when I got to the point of cleaning the meat off.... just as bad as the raw part, only this time I was burning my fingers off the entire time. The popping and snapping of the joints and bones made me start gagging again.... and I had just as much turkey on the stove, my shirt, and my glasses than in the pan. (Ever try to get turkey grease off your eye glasses? That's a whole other post for later.....) So I'm pulling meat away, and as I'm flipping the turkey carcass around back and forth I lose all sense of direction as it's breaking into sections and I start to wonder what parts I'm pulling from, which freaks me out a little and I'm thinking.... "was this the turkey butt? .... I don't want to eat meat near the turkey butt....." so I just stop all together and chuck what now resembles a pleasant smelling, hot pile of road kill down the garbage shoot in the hallway all the while having visions of a turkey carcass haunting me in the night by crawling back up the little garbage shoot slide..... (not sure why... just felt kind of guilty having gone through the process for the first time, when it looks like a chicken without the head, which is why I always eat my meat in a round or square patty on a bun... takes the reality out of it) . After all that, I am in no mood to eat any of this turkey.... so I have some stuffing and go to sleep.

  • Dry cleaner - last night, while waiting for my turkey to dry out in the oven, I thought I would iron the 12 work shirts I have that I have never wear due to perma-wrinkles that only the dry cleaner seems to get out.... so I thought I would try. I actually made the shirt look worse than when I started. Before it just looked like I had slept in it, and when it was all over it looked like I had slept in it, and then stapled random sections together and then ironed exactly one-third of the shirt, not including the cuffs. I laughed out loud..... for a long time... even Grace looked at it from her end of the ironing board like "what the hell did you just do to that?".... so needless to say..... today I am wearing a sweater.

That's it for now..... just a few things I experienced this weekend that made me glad I have the job I have, and respect those who do all of the above.

Good times,
Cyn

No comments: